Salt and Light (Local Missions)
Leader: Beth Zulauf
What is Salt and Light?
Salt and Light is the local missions expression of Life Church. It exists to be a blessing to the Greater Portland community through partnership with reputable organizations and charitable donations.
“Would our community miss Life Church if it ceased to exist? How are you impacting our neighborhood and city?”
How can I help?
You can help out in a number of ways including volunteering, donating resources, and offering prayer. Below is a directory of current partnerships with specific needs:
[expand title=”Birthright of Hillsboro”]
Birthright is a non-profit, non-political, interdenominational emergency pregnancy service offering confidential pregnancy tests, maternity and infant clothing, and alternatives to abortion. It is privately funded by personal contributions from members of the local community.
• Volunteers needed to counsel women about their pregnancy, answer phones and man the front desk; ongoing need for handmade baby booties, blankets and hats.
• Birthright also needs volunteers to help in the clinic, greeting clients and performing pregnancy education and tests. The volunteer shifts are M, T and Th from 9:30-12:30 and 12:30-4:00. Training is required. They would like to open an evening clinic on Wednesday from 4-7pm if they can get enough volunteers.[/expand][expand title=”HomePlate Youth Services”]
HomePlate supports the positive development of young people experiencing homelessness or housing instability through community building, education, access to services and resources, and youth empowerment.
• Childcare volunteers – 5:30-8pm one or more nights (M, W, Th) weekly providing respite to young families with children ages 0 to 5
• Data entry support – Flexible schedule, Mondays or Thursdays in the morning or afternoon, short term commitment or long term commitment welcome
• 2014 dinner groups Mondays & Thursdays – Get together a group of 3 to 12 and serve a meal of your choice here at one of our welcoming drop-ins[/expand]
[expand title=”Monika’s House”]
Monika’s House is an emergency shelter for adults and children escaping imminent physical danger in family violence situations.
Eastwood Elementary School in Hillsboro fills customized backpacks each Friday based on diet restrictions and the number of younger siblings in the home. The children take the backpacks full of food home on Friday and return the empty bag on Monday.
Currently we are collecting food items. The following items are mooted needed: Fruit (canned, no glass jars), Top Ramen, Applesauce, Veggies (canned, no glass jars), Tomato Sauce, Canned Chicken, Tuna Helper, Spaghetti Sauce. Other items needed: Instant Oatmeal Packets, Breakfast Bars, Canned Chicken/Tuna, Boxes of Chicken Helper, Canned Soups, Canned Stews, Chef Boyardee Meals, Fruit Cups, Peanut Butter, Bags of Rice, Beans (Cans/Bags), Pasta, Canned Tomatoes, Healthy Snacks, Small Cartons of Non-Perishable Milk, Nuts, Raisins or Other Dried Fruit.
School Counselor: Ann Doyle
School Website: http://schools.hsd.k12.or.us/eastwood/Home/tabid/1781/Default.aspx
• In need of positive male role models for young men. They could work with them on academics, reading, math – etc.
• Sorting, packing, and handing out backpacks on Fridays around 1:20.
• Kindergarten volunteers are needed on a regular basis to support independent work.
[expand title=”Angel Tree”]
Angel Tree is a ministry of Prison Fellowship that partners with the local church and other nonprofit organizations, to work together to meet the spiritual, physical, and personal needs of prisoners and their families, with the ultimate goal of seeing them restored to Christ, their families, and their communities.
[expand title=”Prison Fellowship Prayer Team”]
Joining the team is easy. In fact, it’s the easiest, most convenient (and most powerful) thing you can do — even if there isn’t a prison nearby, or you don’t have time to volunteer. Visit our prayer team site and pick a specific day and time to pray. You’ll receive an email on your selected day with a request you can lift up in prayer.
Prison Fellowship depends on the prayers of the righteous. Will you lift up our ministry today?
[expand title=”Transitional Youth”]
Transitional Youth provides outreach, support and housing to positively transform the hearts and lives of at-risk and homeless youth through compassion, guidance, and the grace of God.
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities:
• Prayer partners
Direct Services (Requires interview and criminal background check):
• Life-skills: group instructors
• Outreach: food service, clothing, mentors, retreats
• In-home Bible study: leaders committing to 1-2 hours weekly
• Respite houseparents
• Building trades: carpentry, electrical, plumbing
• Grounds work: gardening, mowing, trimming
• Recreational special activity days for residents, to provide exposure to hobbies, arts and crafts or cultural experiences
• Handyperson: Minor household repairs
• Appliance repair
• Automotive repair
• Medical & Dental Professional Services[/expand]